Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Hottest Day of My Life

Yesterday the temperature in Varanasi went up to 114 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat made yesterday one of the hardest days for me here. Regardless, it was extremely rewarding. We started the day out by taking a boat into the Ganges River and looking at the numerous ghats scattered along the shore. So many stuck out to me, such as Janki Ghat, Hiresh Chandra Ghat, the cremation ghats and many more. As the day warmed up, we visited the Main Ghat that was full of shops ranging from bead shops to saree shops. Our next stop, the Nepali Temple, was full of intricate designs depicting various Tantric art. Following this, we headed towards a cremation ghat in which we watched a few cremation ceremonies.

The rickshaw ride back from the Main Ghat was one of the craziest rides I've ever been on. After just visiting Universal Studies a few weeks ago, I feel like this rickshaw ride was much more intense than any of the rides I went on. Amusement parks should start making some simulator rides in which people take fake rickshaw rides.  It feels like the rickshaw is going to have a head on collision with the giant bus or car roaring straight at you, but at the last possible second, one of the vehicles turns. I don't really think that explanation does any rickshaw ride justice, but hopefully it's close.

At night we attended one of the most populated religious ceremonies I have ever seen. We viewed the evening ceremony at Dashawamedh Ghat (Main Ghat) from another boat in the Ganges River. In my opinion, this was the best location for any tourist to view the ceremony. I find it incredible that thousands of people congregate every evening for prayer. It's beautiful how so many people are passionate enough about their beliefs to come together and celebrate this often. 

Yesterday was undoubtedly the hottest day of my life, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing.. I am happy to hear you all are OK after the rickshaw ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulls! I'm so glad you're enjoying your time in India, I'm pretty sure I would die in that heat (or just complain constantly). I hope you're taking lots of pictures I can't wait to see all of them and hear everything about the trip! I miss you all the way in Portugal :'( skype me, if you can?!?

    ReplyDelete

Please do not post anything that could be detrimental to the safety of those on this trip.