Friday, May 25, 2012

Were about to play a game called snaps

Varnassi has been absolutely wild the last couple of days! Yesterday we got to visit Sarnath, the place were Buddha taught his first teaching. It was an incredibly serene and peaceful place, and we were able to sit by a huge shrine and meditate for a while. There were hundreds of Indians making a pilgrimage to the spot and many of them would get down on there hands and knees and touch the ground with their head in worship. It was a heartwarming experience and just another thing that I can now cross off my bucket list. After we left the shrine D money took us to a wicked sweet Tibetan monastery that had some of the most beautiful and ornate paintings / sculptures of the Buddha I had ever seen. The place was incredibly nice and we could even see monks sitting around the sculptures reading Buddhist scriptures and discussing them. When we finally made it back to Varnassi we had music lessons, some of the group played the sitar but John, Sanch, Boki, and I played the Tabula, a very cool set of drums that was easy to pick up, but wicked difficult to master. The man that was teaching us named Babloo was amazing and could jam for days on those things. Later on at night we came back to the same music shop for a concert featuring Indian singing and dancing, as well as the instruments we had learned about earlier. Indian music puts me in such a deep trance, I could hardly keep my eyes open during the show! Afterwards I went straight to bed in preperation for tomorrow, when we had to be awake by 5am.

When I awoke the next day I was pretty miserable, 5am is just too early to be awake. But D-money took us out on the holy Ganges to see the sunrise, and its hard to stay mad watching something like that. Afterwards we were given a free day to rest and relax, and I think me and some of the guys are about to go get a quality Indian massage. Tomorrow we have a 15 hour train ride to corbett national park, so I figure my back could use the extra attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post anything that could be detrimental to the safety of those on this trip.